Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Planet Nexus - the world of innovative forum networking.

You are currently orbiting in guest-mode, and that is OK with us. :cool: You do not have to join Planet Nexus to create a page on the NexusTree. Subscribers immediately become a part of our dynamic networking engine for message boards (which includes extras like NexChat, Members Online Today, the NexLike Reputation system, Blurb and Live Sig options). The Nexus System is free and open to anyone with a ZetaBoards, InvisionFree, zIFBoards or Jcink community! Learn more about Nexus System registration HERE. The process is quick and easy. You can be up and Nexworking in only a few minutes!

Get your own leaf on the NexusTree >> Posted Image << Sign up Today!

In order to access our Nexus support system you will need to register a personal Planet Nexus forum account. An account on Planet Nexus allows you to test our IRC-style NexChat and NexLike features and fully participate on the powerful NexusTree. You'll be able to rate communities, leave comments, become fans, and swing through the tree to discover the content of many different boards in a vast array of genres.

Register a Planet Nexus personal account! Or login below:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Regarding SEO, through "backlinks"
Topic Started: Tuesday Dec 5 2017, 12:27 PM (640 Views)
Bry.
Member Avatar
Schmooziland
[ * ]
I had PM'd Helena about this at the ZB support forum, where the use of the NexusBar makes your forum "SEO-ready" in a way. She told me that the use of the NexusBar increases backlinks as my forum would be appearing more often on all other forums subscribed to it. I'm wondering if anyone can elaborate more on this so that I can fully understand the true power of it? Thanks a bunch :)
Posted Image
Join us, and may the panda god bless you for all eternity.
Offline Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Foxy One

So any forum that is using NexusBar, your site will/can appear in the bar and increases the chances people will see your site name, click the link and check your page; thus encouraging them to check your site out. You can keep track of how many times your site name on the bar was clicked by looking at the statistics on your Leaf. It shows you Total Hits, Unique Hits and Bar Clicks. which lets you track how many times your site has been poked at by other people. The great part about it, is any time a person changes links on a site or refreshes the page, the Bar links change and your site has more of a chance to appear.

I hope that explains it a little more.

Bry.
Member Avatar
Schmooziland
[ * ]
Yep, that sounds good enough for me to know. Thanks a lot :)
Posted Image

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar
Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

Another thing that makes the NexusBar links so valuable is the fact that each links does not have the rel="nofollow" tag.

What is this "nofollow" tag?

Quote:

nofollow is a value that can be assigned to the rel attribute of an HTML a element to instruct some search engines that the hyperlink should not influence the ranking of the link's target in the search engine's index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of internet advertising because their search algorithm depends heavily on the number of links to a website when determining which websites should be listed in what order in their search results for any given term.

While all engines that use the nofollow value exclude links that use it from their ranking calculation, the details about the exact interpretation of it vary from search engine to search engine.

Quote:

• Google states that their engine takes "nofollow" literally and does not "follow" the link at all.
  • Yahoo! follows it, but excludes it from their ranking calculation.
  • Bing may not follow it, but excludes it from their ranking calculation.
  • Ask.com also respects the attribute.
  • Baidu appears to respect the attribute

All external links on a Zetaboards forum has the rel="nofollow" added to it. With the NexusBar, your link can/is being indexed by search engines.

So, what does this mean? If Google comes onto a forum that has your link being displayed on the NexusBar, the search engine will follow that link. In turn, the link they follow goes to your NexusTree page which has a lot of information about your forum, including a direct link to your forum! Thus, PlanetNexus and your forum both get great "points" in the eye's of the search engine!
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Codes, Scripts & Modifications for ZetaBoards
http://skyonarcher.com
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info
Online Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bry.
Member Avatar
Schmooziland
[ * ]
That sounds good :) That would explain as to how my forum's ranking had increased recently ;) And also, do you think the use of Meta tags (that I could add into my forum) would help also?
Posted Image

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar

Meta tags were the rage in the early days of the internet. Search engines used the information exclusively to gather information about your site and to display search results to their users.

This is not true anymore. Sure, they do have some value, but you can no longer fill a keyword meta tag with words about candy and expect to have the number position for lollipop's if your site is about nuclear physics.

I recommend you do a little research. Specifically, read this article and this source and finally this reference.

The rule of thumb is to not add more than you need. If you don't need a "designer" meta tag, don't add it. If you feel you really want to ensure how your links will look when shared on social media, then by all means add "twitter" and "og" tags (read this).
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info

Bry.
Member Avatar
Schmooziland
[ * ]
So from what's said, should I use them, or not? And yes, I did gather that they are a thing of the past that's generally not used in this generation. The same like people hardly use VHS tapes and floppies (poor analogy, I know, but you know what I mean :P)
Posted Image

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar

Yes, use them.

Code:

<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="description" content="---------description of your website---------">
<meta name="keywords" content="---------specific keywords on your site---------">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

Some more:
Code:

<meta property="og:description" content="---------description of your website---------" />
<meta property="og:locale" content="en_US" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="---------name of your website---------" />
<meta property="og:title" content="---------title of the page---------" />
<meta property="og:type" content="section" />
<meta property="og:url" content="---------address of your website---------" />
<meta property="og:image" content="---------image for your website---------" />
<meta property="og:image:width" content="---------width of image---------" />
<meta property="og:image:height" content="---------height of image---------" />

<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary" />
<meta name="twitter:url" content="---------address of your website---------" />
<meta name="twitter:title" content="---------title of the page---------" />
<meta name="twitter:description" content="---------description of your website---------" />
<meta name="twitter:image" content="---------image of your website---------" />

• Facebook recommends 1200 x 630 pixels for the og:image dimensions
  • Twitter recommends images for the summary card to have an aspect ratio of 2:1 with minimum dimensions of 300x157 or maximum of 4096x4096 pixels.
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info

Bry.
Member Avatar
Schmooziland
[ * ]
I'll think about it. Although, I wonder if anybody else had made use of these and maybe tell me how it worked for them?
Posted Image

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar

I use them extensively on several websites I have. When someone adds one of my links on twitter or facebook, I am in control of what is being displayed. Specifically the text and image that is posted thanks to the og/twitter meta tags. Otherwise, they simply show the first image on the page being linked to and an excerpt of the text they find.

I like having control of what is being displayed :)

Take a look at the page source for this page: http://newsheadquarter.com/news/dfa945e0eb

Look between the head tags and you will see that I am using a LOT of meta tags on that site. Twitter, Facebook, Dublin Core and many more.
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nexus Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: