Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Planet Nexus - the world of innovative forum networking.

You are currently orbiting in guest-mode, and that is OK with us. :cool: You do not have to join Planet Nexus to create a page on the NexusTree. Subscribers immediately become a part of our dynamic networking engine for message boards (which includes extras like NexChat, Members Online Today, the NexLike Reputation system, Blurb and Live Sig options). The Nexus System is free and open to anyone with a ZetaBoards, InvisionFree, zIFBoards or Jcink community! Learn more about Nexus System registration HERE. The process is quick and easy. You can be up and Nexworking in only a few minutes!

Get your own leaf on the NexusTree >> Posted Image << Sign up Today!

In order to access our Nexus support system you will need to register a personal Planet Nexus forum account. An account on Planet Nexus allows you to test our IRC-style NexChat and NexLike features and fully participate on the powerful NexusTree. You'll be able to rate communities, leave comments, become fans, and swing through the tree to discover the content of many different boards in a vast array of genres.

Register a Planet Nexus personal account! Or login below:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Brain storming about the "new" Nexus
Topic Started: Thursday Jun 7 2018, 10:55 AM (207 Views)
Helena
Member Avatar
on an obscure beach on Planet Nexus....

This is a topic for feed back on the development of a new nexus system in the post ZetaBoards era. Archer has started some preliminary work which has some exciting possibilities, and is interested in moving Nexus to the next level.

It would be helpful to us in the course of this to find out what users have enjoyed about Nexus, and what has been found challenging. You can post any thoughts you have about it, even if not related to the questions I've posed.

In the new iteration, our intention is to have self hosting for the support forum, but one question might be: how necessary is a support forum to the purpose of this service? Would a private ticket system be sufficient, or is the interaction with other Nexus users important to you?

What optional features do you use and wish to carry over to the new system?

How is the Wall useful to you?

One thing we are considering is eliminating the NexusTree page as the destination for a click on the NexusBar link. What is your thought about that? Do you find it helpful to have the click referred to the information on your Tree page first, or would you rather send the person to your forum link?

How important to you are the individual board stats and information available in the NexusCP?

In what ways could the functioning of Nexus be improved from your viewpoint?
Posted Image

Posted Image
:deviantart:

Offline Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar
Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

Great topic and questions. I look forward to the feedback.
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Codes, Scripts & Modifications for ZetaBoards
http://skyonarcher.com
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info
Online Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Strifefox
Member Avatar
Foxy One

1. On this, I would say that the support forum should stay. It's a good way for members to communicate with staff and ask simple questions that may not require an actual ticket - but rather are trivial questions that other members of the community stand a chance of assisting each other with. Also, a forum area where admins can offer up guides and helpful tutorials for one another turns Nexus into a destination for all forum administrators to speak with other administrators for advice. It's a good thing to have for sure.

2. Not sure on this...but i think others would be able to come up with more.

3. The Wall isn't as important. I think having a sidebar on the forum itself with the stats like newest registers, top boards and things like this would work out better. A built in shoutbox at the top or bottom of the site along with a sidebar with the most important tables from the Wall would entirely remove the need of it.

4. Okay on this point. I think that if you removed the individual leaf pages and the whole leaf side of it would actually be beneficial. As it sat, if i wanted my members to go rate and fan us, they had to make two separate accounts and go through a long process for something rather simple. I think turning the Nexus system more into a support forum and registration destination then the bar is just a additive to a forum with links on it would be a good idea.

5. Honestly, not -that- important. I think there are better ways to do something with this, listed below in my answer to question 6 :)

6. So! Here is my idea. Have a forum forum like we have now. Then have there be the registration for admins who want to add there sites to it. You fill out information about your forum like it's name, a link to it, and have a detailed selection for 'board type' So like I will use Roleplay since it has the most diverse selections.

Role Play
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Anime Based
Fandom

So you would select what section your RP forum falls under (probably have more options but you get the point). Now, your board link will only appear on other forums with in the same subsection as your own forum - allowing people who are on your site to see other sites with similar interests; so my forum would only see other RP forums that are based in Fantasy rather than seeing forums for sports fans and automobiles. It would help narrow down the interests of members on certain boards.

You could also institute a type of voting system where members of a forum (who register on the nexus) to go to a page and vote for there own site or other sites they like, which resets every month. The more votes you get, the more often your forum would appear on the nexus bar. Only registered members with Nexus can vote and must have individual ID's which would cut down on other admins purposely up voting there own content and essentially spamming the system.

Also, allow admins to own multiple sites under the same name. While I do not have more than one, some people have more than one forum they run or run sister sites. Cuts down on multi-registers. Possibly use the sub account system to do so.

SandyC
Member Avatar
Amalgamatia
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I only saw brain storming, after seeing storming only.. Anyways, now I've kind of got used to this site I find it okay, if somewhat difficult to navigate at times, possibly because the wall pops up when I arrive, the site must be a little.. daunting to those of us who are new to the net, that got me wondering if the layout could be simpler than at present, that way folk wouldn't be left navigating pge after page to find what they want..

I wonder if the search feature could be made better than the zeta search feature which at best I find is a little.. hopeless, possibly a few more words in the taglines or whatever so we can get a search result more easily, I'm no programming expert, and don't pretend to know much about coding etc, but if someone spells a site name incorrectly, I wonder if it'd still come up in a search result?

I'm sure this old fella will think of more later once the old brain is a little less overloaded..
Love many, trust few, paddle your own waka.

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar
Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

Amazing responses, Strifefox and Sandy.

Keep em' coming :codes:
By the way, I'm considering going with MyBB as the forum solution. It is simple to integrate the forum with other non-forum pages so users would only have to register/login at the forum yet can be logged in on other pages as well.

This could simplify the registration process with only one registration/log in to deal with.

Also, the person could then go to the "other" page and turn on/off the system for themselves. Basically, a control panel where they set up their link/advertisement, get codes for displaying it and yada yada yada. All this magic happens and they simply had to log into the forum one time to do it all.

Now, I am concerned with your idea #6. If there is only one roleplay site signed up for the system, then there would only be one advertisement displayed. This, in effect, doesn't allow all the other users to get their advertisement seen.

If there were 100 roleplay sites then that would be a different matter all together. Then your idea of the voting system would come into play.

Thoughts?
Edited by Skyon Archer, Thursday Jun 7 2018, 02:57 PM.
Useful Stuff
Posted Image
Codes, Scripts & Modifications for ZetaBoards
http://skyonarcher.com
Simple Hosting Plan
~ Unlimited Disc Space
~ Unlimited Bandwidth
~ 1 Website Hosted
~ Hepsia Control Panel
~ 30-day Free Trial
~ FREE Domain Name
only $3.25 /mo
Order Now - More Info
Online Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Helena
Member Avatar

Quote:

Now, I am concerned with your idea #6. If there is only one roleplay site signed up for the system, then there would only be one advertisement displayed. This, in effect, doesn't allow all the other users to get their advertisement seen.

If there were 100 roleplay sites then that would be a different matter all together. Then your idea of the voting system would come into play.

Maybe that could be used to advantage. Say something like that might kick in once the signups for that genre reached a certain level. Then there would be motivation for more boards from that genre to join Nexus.

On the other hand, boards would lose out on curiosity clicks from other genres in a system like that. So maybe some kind of hybrid of that idea could be developed, possibly with same genre displays most of the time, but the full rotation of subscriber boards a certain percentage of the time.

SandyC
Member Avatar
Amalgamatia
Skyon Archer
Thursday Jun 7 2018, 02:45 PM
Amazing responses, Strifefox and Sandy.

Keep em' coming :codes:
By the way, I'm considering going with MyBB as the forum solution. It is simple to integrate the forum with other non-forum pages so users would only have to register/login at the forum yet can be logged in on other pages as well.

This could simplify the registration process with only one registration/log in to deal with.

Also, the person could then go to the "other" page and turn on/off the system for themselves. Basically, a control panel where they set up their link/advertisement, get codes for displaying it and yada yada yada. All this magic happens and they simply had to log into the forum one time to do it all.

Thoughts?
You gave me an after thought there, I note that at present we're logged in here, but if we decide to say rate, or become a fan of a site here, we have to log in to do so, IMHO that puts some folk off, if they're like me they forget passwords easily, or find logging in to rate a site a bit of a hassle, just my thought here, but couldn't the need to log in again to rate, or become a fan be dropped?

Venom
Member Avatar
Tis Only Me
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think having you leaf link directing to your board is better, keeping it more simple in the forum section for Admins to chat and members of a board, it doesn't matter who it is really. With the other features like the tree, i never really looked at it and rating features i really didnt use that either.
The Friendly Bunch Forums
A Great Community Board For Everyone. All Welcome!!

SandyC
Member Avatar
Amalgamatia
I kind of like the fan/rating system, just a pity my members don't come over and use both..

Helena
Member Avatar

The whole NexusTree page was a great idea until we had to set up logins for security reasons. That made it complicated for users to participate.

Your complaint is exactly why the Tree's rating and comments features haven't worked as intended. Its is too much trouble for people to have to register on this forum just to vote on your page.

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: Skyon Archer
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Service Discussion & Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: